Monday, July 14, 2008

More on eatin’

While I was up north, J&P introduced me to a new favorite of theirs. Stella’s is on the green in Lyme New Hampshire, in what used to be the hardware store. A very good delicatessen and take-out with a nice, reasonably priced restaurant behind. Decent pizzas, good beer. Went there twice. Be going back again.

New Englanders eat more ice cream than people in any other part of the US. This has led to a wonderful scattering of ice cream stands across the countryside, many of which have metastasized into hot dog stands as well. Thursday I would have stopped at the Rainbow, in Woodsville, NH, if it hadn’t been nearly invisible through solid sheets of rain when I passed. I pulled into the puddled lot of the Whippi Dip in Fairlee, Vermont, instead. Fat Bob’s, in Warren, NH (ice cream only...no dogs), is near Mt. Moosilauke and has long been a favorite of the Dartmouth Outing Club.

There are also a lot of good diners in this part of the world. I mentioned Isabell’s, which is not exactly a diner, but serves diner-style food. There’s also the classic Fairlee Diner in Fairlee, the very good Littleton Diner in Littleton, NH, and the P&H Truck Stop, which A introduced me to, just off I-91 in Wells River, VT, which has terrific home-made breads, cakes, and pies.

Ferreting out places like these and swapping names and locations with friends is one of the many small joys of visiting the north country.

No comments: