Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Runmeter

I’ve been experimenting with this app lately. I can’t compare it to the several similar programs out there, because I haven’t used them, but I like it.

Its stopwatch function, above, includes pace (velocity over the previous 400 meters), average mile time, distance covered, distance remaining (on a pre-stored course) and elevation climbed. It also includes a map function,


a routes function, which you build up by running and naming your workouts,



a calendar function, which lets you track runs by date if you want to,


and a graphic function (pace over distance and elevation over distance).


It will also send you an email synopsis of your run (handy as a sort of skeletal training diary), or show the world how your training is going with direct connections to Twitter or Facebook (over my dead body). You can set it to “speak” to you at specific distances, times, and/or locations, with information on pace and, if you choose, speed relative to earlier runs over the same course.

I was confused at first about the “pace” function, because it was giving me readings too fast to be believable. An email to the developer resulted in a pleasant, almost instant reply, with good information. (Descent and special motivation, with a distant nod toward GPS inaccuracy—I’ve had enough experience with the first two to believe strongly in the third here.) Excellent support.

Using Runmeter is fiddly, not in its actual use but in the sense that I have to stuff the iPhone into an arm holder while I run, and keep the !@#$ earbud cord under control. It’s the nature of an app, and as I get used to it, no big deal.

I’d never been especially interested in the actual times of training runs, just the distances and effort involved. But now my running isn’t really training, and what I’m actually trying to do is get and stay moderately fit while controlling the pace so I don’t face more awkward conversations with my achilles tendons. Since I don’t have the native wit to do this on my own (no luck trying to emulate the ladies), Runmeter metaphorically tapping me on the shoulder at mile marks helps do it for me, and the collected information, especially looked at over time, will be interesting.

No comments: