Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Yardwork

I’m still scuffling around in the back-back, and I’ve decided to completely finish the east side, right down to raking and reseeding, before continuing on to each of the other sides in turn.

Our property backs onto the elementary school, so I don’t use power tools out there until 2:30. I spent the morning raking the area clear of the last of the loose (and the not-so-loose) duff, roots, and vines, and dealing, awkwardly but adequately, with the large rotting logs I’ve been averting my eyes from. Late in the afternoon I spent an hour or so ruining an already dull chain by cutting stumps level with the ground.

The big news, though, is that I think I’ve finally pinned down a decent used chipper. If all goes well tomorrow, I’ll start chewing up all this detritus, minus those rotted logs (way too big) and the obvious firewood. It will be good to have this part of the mess cleaned up. I think I’ll just admire it for a few days before moving on to the north side.

After that, off to the mountains.

No comments: