Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Stutter-step

I’ve been listening to Melvyn Bragg’s wonderful book, The Adventure of English. He’s just called Dr. Johnson (and, in passing, Isaac Newton) an “effortless eccentric.” A lovely turn of phrase I thought I’d just pass along. I know a few self-conscious iconoclasts (mostly pains in the ass), and some self-congratulatory oddballs (don’t we all), not to mention the occasional utter loon, but the pure Johnsonian ... well, I can only hope to encounter it in the future.


I’m trying to figure out how to write about my fabulous month in New Zealand. Mere chronology, I can attest from my efforts, feels too dogged and ... cardinal sin ... boring. So I’m going to try to organize a few posts around riveting subjects instead. I’ll start tomorrow. With blisters.

No comments: